Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Neely's Southern Sweet and Spicy Slaw


There is just something about my fascination with Southern cooking and watching Down Home with the Neelys on the Food Network. While a few of my food aficionado friends may beg to differ because the Neelys aren't professionally trained chefs, I stand by their  family-style cooking because not only do they own a barbeque restaurant (and I love barbeque), they are so funny to watch with their personal stories of Southern life and everything in-between. If I lived in Memphis, one thing's for sure, I'd be looking them up in the phonebook and inviting myself over for some dinners (or really any meal--heck, I'll even take snack.)


So last week, while on break at work, I was looking in the cookbook section and got that little flutter of excitement in my stomach when I saw the Neely's cookbook. The feeling was something on par with finding an extra present under the tree on Christmas or when a really hot guy smiles at you (especially if that really hot guy is Justin Timberlake.) Therefore, when I saw the book, I immediately grabbed it and headed to check-out. Having their cookbook was probably the closest I'd get to sharing a meal with them, which is such a shame because I totally know we could be best friends.



That night, I came home from work and decided I wanted to make something from the book that I could bring for lunch for a few days to work. I also wanted to make something easy and that wouldn't take a long time. Hence, when I came to the page titled,  "Sweet and Spicy Slaw" I knew that was it. The Neelys wrote that this slaw would be the prettiest, crispest and crunchiest--so I was hooked despite not being a fan of coleslaw. C'mon, how many of us have a bad impression of coleslaw? You know the kind from catered work parties that comes in plastic containers and is just green cabbage soaked with mayo. Totally gross. And totally bad for you.


This Southern sweet and spicy slaw seemed different because it looked like a great salad and side dish, not just cabbage and clumpy mayo. With most of the ingredients already in my fridge, I set out to start cooking Neely style (minus the giant pig jar of sugar of course.)  The first thing I did was wash and quarter a green and a red cabbage. Then I took the core out of both of the cabbages. Next, I was going to shred the cabbage in the food processor, but I couldn't find the right blade attachment. Not wanting to call my parents who were lunching in the city, I opted for chopping attachment instead. I then cut the quarters of cabbage into smaller pieces, popped them into the food processor and turned it on. When the cabbages were chopped, I emptied the contents of the food processor into a giant, blue glass bowl. 

After the cabbage, I peeled a yellow onion and placed that into the food processor to chop up. Just putting the chopped onion into the bowl made my eyes tear as if I was watching Miley Cyrus'  new movie, The Last Song. Onion aside, I peeled four organic carrots and chopped them up in the food processor too. Right about now, I was feeling pretty good about owning a food processor (or that my mom owned one) because this was sure saving me a lot of work. 


                            

Now that the slaw was complete, I mixed it around and got out another glass bowl to prepare my dressing. For the dressing, I added one cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of mustard, 1/2 cup of mayo, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, a pinch of kosher salt and 2 tbs apple cider vinegar. I whisked the dressing until it was mixed and then poured it over the slaw. When the slaw was covered with the dressing, I put plastic wrap over it and popped it into the fridge.


After the slaw chilled and marinated, I packed my lunch for the following day by putting trail mix, string cheese and a tupperware of the sweet and spicy slaw into a brown paper bag. Although it was almost time for dinner, I couldn't resist trying some of the slaw and it was amazing! I couldn't believe the flavor that was packed into the dish. It was sweet from the sugar, yet the slaw had a kick too it from the cayenne pepper. My nose started to run after several bites, but it just had great flavor. The colors were bright and the cabbage was crunchy. This slaw gets an A+, which I'm glad it did because the recipe made enough slaw for about fifteen people, so I'd have lunch for a few days. 

1 comment:

  1. They the Neelys and Paula Seen are so phonie..and Paulas a money gripping fake country chef..I live in Savannah so I know first hand..please take them off, they male me sick.

    ReplyDelete